Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day 356: Are You Numb to Your Truth




Numb to The Truth

Throughout a year of pain and healing (which I’ve learned go hand-in-hand) I have done my best to avoid too much pain medication. I know that it can be helpful and in many cases, a life saver, but I feel that we have become numb to things we need to pay attention to.
Too much pain medication is like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm. “I fixed it,” we say joyfully; all the while our house is on fire.
There is another kind of pain medication we often use to avoid our truth and we all know our own; for some it’s eating, some it’s alcohol and drugs, some take it to the Lord and leave it there-- over and over again.
I’d like you to take a moment out of the day to search your own heart and mind to see where you have avoided the pain of your own truth. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step.
Look closely and then ask your own self for forgiveness; for ignoring the warnings, for turning from truth and for muffling the cries for help.
Then I want you to dedicate yourself to doing the work that is required to be well. The commitment is only for today; tomorrow we get to renew our minds all over again.
Doing the work step by step, day by day in small bites is easy, committing to doing it over and over and over again is where that work begins.

Be you, be well, be renewed.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment