Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Day 347: Staying True

Writing each day sometimes makes me crazy
but always gives me joy

Staying True

When I began writing these posts, I committed to writing one every day for an entire year. I had no idea of what that would entail or what the year would bring; I just knew that I was committed.
After the first three days, I was thinking, “Okay, I may have meant once a week.” I found that writing something new every single day is downright grueling and I began to think that it would be impossible for me to do.
There were many days when I had to catch early flights and some days when I had to write from a hospital bed, but I was determined to be true to myself and my commitment.
Then somewhere in the middle of the year, something beautiful happened; I realized that I needed to do what I said I would.
The thing that had been difficult at first had become a habit and then a necessity. I think change is the same; it’s hard in the beginning and then it becomes part of life’s routine.
The beauty of writing these posts for me has been in the realization that just like in life every day is completely new; we only look at it the same way.
My mother used to say, “Make no oaths or promises, let your yea be yea and your nay be nay.” I know, she got it from the Bible, but the fact that she actually lived that way is rather cool.
“You don’t need to promise, just do what you say you’re going to do,” she told us.
Staying true to a commitment is not an easy task, nor should it be taken lightly; it must be taken day by day; moment by moment.
Tell yourself what you can do right now, and then move on to the next hour.
If you fail to reach a goal or commitment, don’t beat yourself up, start again.
If you ain’t dead, you ain’t done. Keep breathing, seeing, doing, living and reaching for your life’s full potential.
Be you, be well, be living.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment