Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 350: Happening For You

The outcome is better
than what you go through

Not Happening To You

What if the things that happened to you were happening for you? (Hey, stop, don’t leave; keep reading.)
Take a moment (which is just three seconds) to reflect on something that truly challenged you. Now think about the outcome. Was it better than what you went through? Did it help shape and mold you into the person you have become? Would you like me to stop asking questions?
On the serious tip, life’s challenges truly give us the opportunity to be grateful for what we have and who we are becoming.
I’m thinking about a really small thing, but it brought out a lot in my household. For the past few days, we’ve had no phone or internet. At first, everyone was a bit testy. I actually yelled at a customer “service” rep.
My young adult children are digital natives, so they are way off center. My daughter looked at me through glazed over eyes and asked what she did before she had a laptop. I reminded her of those things called books. She’s a voracious reader and has read everything in the house at least twice, which is saying a lot because we have thousands of books.
My son went out in the woods and climbed trees and my sister Chris, who only uses the internet for National Geographic and Joyce Meyers, did what she always does; she read, she cleaned the house and bird watched.
Afterwards, everyone looked at old pictures and talked to each other. I realized how quiet my house has been since the computer came into my kids’ life. We resisted TV and internet on weekdays until the youngest was a high school senior.
No access to the internet has given us access into our own selves. It has also given us all a lot to reflect on and has shown us where and how we need to grow.
I woke up with something that I have often said, that it didn’t happen to us, it happened for us.
What’s happening for you right now?
Be you, be well, be strong.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

1 comment:

  1. You look INCREDIBLE! Happy! ...& Full of Light! <3 Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete