Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 346:Spirit-Mind-Body



Spirit-Mind-Body

True wellness is not about the body alone, it is about the spirit, mind and body working together, aligned in harmony.
The goal of true wellness is not easily achieved in a society that is run on stress and fed on pills and alcohol. Please understand that I cannot judge anyone and I find that scapegoating still leaves the goats’ carcass at my own door.
Instead of talking about what is wrong with life and society, I’d like to offer some steps towards wellness.
Your spirit, mind and body all have needs. These needs have been neglected and not attended to on a regular basis.
I’d like you to think about what your spirit needs. The spirit or psycho-social self requires connections to others. It needs to be still, it needs to reflect and it needs you to be in peace.
The body needs proper fuel, movement (inside and out,) it needs rest, and it needs water. Of course there is much more, but for now, let’s just look at these.
Your mind needs to be cleansed and also needs proper fuel in the form of new and inspirational ideas. The mind needs exercise and it also needs to reflect.
Okay, these are just a few things that your spirit, mind and body need.
My question for you today is this; are you truly getting what you truly need?
If you really need water, why do you drink so much coffee?
When you need to rest, why are you flipping channels and looking for old friends on face book?
Why do you hop from one church to the next when what you truly need is to be still and know?
Hey, I’m just the messenger; one that cannot judge another soul, so don’t get mad, get to work.
True wellness is within your reach, but you have to do the work.
As Dr. King once said:
“Rarely do we find men [and women] who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.”
Today, I’d like you to think about your own stuff and then I’d like you to do as my mother would say, “See your way clear.”
I love you and know that you love you too.
Be you, be well, be acting like you want to be better.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure I wasn't the only one to say "OH NO!" when reading this today, "By the by, I do not intend write a daily blog every day next year. These posts will be available and I may add a few here and there, so as my mother used to say, "Get while the getting is good."

    Bertice, as you dedicate energies to other pursuits, how might we keep this virtual community of like-minded people focused on our own wellness each morning? I would like to propose that someone (if there is interest, I might volunteer) create a private page somewhere where we could post messages and updates and gain support and encouragement along our journey.

    I just want to thank you, Bertice, for your discipline and commitment to this blog in 2012. I had the most challenging year of my adult life and the timing of this blog was clearly "on-purpose" for me :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea. There are over 66,500 folks who check in from time to time and we need to keep the community going

    ReplyDelete