Saturday, December 15, 2012

Day 351: On Love and Grief

They call the wind Mariah


On Love and Grief

Yesterday’s tragic school shooting has left us all in mourning. There are no words to explain, wash away or comprehend this horrendous event.
Those who know me well know that I have suffered the loss of child; one I raised from the age of 8—she died at 18.  Few have ever heard me speak about that loss; I cannot.
Even as I sit here typing I am reduced to great sorrow---it will always be painful.
Once, when I mentioned the loss of my child to another woman, she commented, “Oh Bertice, you always have something going on.”
I was stunned silent, never speaking a word in her presence again.
I have come to see that those who do not understand grief also do not comprehend love.
Leo Tolstoy once wrote that “Only people who are capable of loving strongly, can suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.
Today and every day that follows, show love, keep sharing, keep teaching, keep shining your light, smile at every child you see and give thanks for life and love.
Be you, be well, be love.
Bertice Berry, PhD.
                                                                                  

1 comment:

  1. Bessie, it's Tanetta ;) So glad to have found you on Twitter and this blog...it's been too long since I've seen you and it's great to connect with your energy here. This post resonates with me especially. The Tolstoy quote is a keeper. Love you, Dr. Bertice :)

    ReplyDelete