Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day 344: The Effects of Time


The Effects of Time

I’m in my home town, Wilmington Delaware and last night I participated in an event that helps raise scholarships for students of the arts.
To say that I was blown away is truly an understatement. Young people with more talent than I have ever seen assembled in one room shared the gifts  they have perfected with an audience of truly appreciative supporters of the arts.
I could go on and on about these young folks, who danced, played and sang with an expertise well beyond their years. But I want-- no I need to write about time.
It’s been said that it heals all wounds and it does, but the real thing with time, when you allow it to take its course is that it reveals the truth that you could not see before.
I reconnected with folks who had been those kids who tagged along and got one everyone’s nerves. They now had children who were just as they had been. Amazingly, I found their children to be pure joy, but the parents were for some reason, bothered.
The parents cringed when I asked their kids if they ever get into trouble; they had a sense of what was coming. I told the children that so did their parents and they turned out okay, so they would too. The kids skipped off happy to learn that they were maintaining a family tradition and the parents just shook their heads.
I laughed with a young man who’s big brother had always gotten all of the attention while he skipped around in the background. I found it rather difficult to refer to him as pastor as he is now the leader of a large community oriented congregation.
I saw people I hadn’t seen in years and time had been more than kind, time had been a revealer of the fact that who we are at our core and our values is who we will become.
All we need are the right guides, hard work, and a lot of love. Add time and everything is revealed.
Be you, be well, be revealed.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment