Monday, November 19, 2012

Day 324: On Freedom---and oh yeah Lincoln

                                                                  (Click and listen)

Freedom, Lincoln and Me

Typically, I’m not one to tell folks to go and see a movie, but yesterday as soon as I left the theatre, I was actually texting people who like to text, informing them to see the movie Lincoln.
To say that I was moved is an understatement. I sat in a crowded theater in Savannah, Georgia watching a film that was more about the passage of the 13th Amendment than anything else; including Lincoln.
The 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution outlawed slavery and involuntary servitude; it was the beginning of making America free.
I watched this Steven Spielberg film; the one he will now be known for, and it felt like I was watching something that I had never read about. I was transfixed to the screen hoping that the Amendment would pass and my people and their captors would one day be free. I won’t give anything away, but during one part of the movie I wept uncontrollably and could hear others crying too.
I wanted to immediately take a trip to Washington to see the monuments and bow my head in gratitude to the other forgotten names in history, then I remembered that I live in Savannah and the United States and that in every state you can find some piece of history that tells the story of your now.
This week, take the time to see this film and when you do (and even if you don’t) take a moment on your way home to stop at one of those markers of history that you pass every day. Read the writing and see what it’s all about.
As you do, say a word of thanks to those who have gone before you and have paved this road to freedom.
Keep praying, hoping, thinking and desiring the freedom of all; because until all of us are free, none of us can truly be.
Be you, be well, be Free
Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

1 comment:

  1. Doug and I saw 'Lincoln' on Friday evening. Wonderful; much of it filmed right here in Richmond Virginia.
    It's why we are...who we are.
    And thank you for the video. Stirs my soul.

    ReplyDelete