Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 320: You Can get WIth This Or...


You Can Get with This, or You Can Get With That
Life always gives us choices.
You can choose to see that everything is falling apart and that nothing will ever work out, or you can decide to view things as coming together as you need them to. The choice really is up to you.
This morning, I was given that clear choice when I woke up to dishes in the sink because someone decided that instead of taking the clean dishes out of the dish washer and putting the dirty ones in, they’d just leave the dirty dishes in the sink.
Now, this may not seem like a life choice, but when we make the wrong choice, little things spiral into big problems.
In my head, one of my children (and my head knew just which lazy one it was,) decided that they were just too tired from their job of laziness to do what needed to be done.
In this same head, I was crafting the speech about how laziness kills and destroys a good life and how if you do nothing, you get nothing.
Then I heard my heart sing. Surprisingly, I did not hear gospel, nor did I hear jazz, I heard the hip hop classic, This or That; “You can get with this, or you can get with that.”
There was no big hamster or Kia as in the car commercial; it was just Sway and King Tech.
 I laughed at my own heart as it told me to make a choice. I had to do so quickly. I have an early morning coastal flight and still needed to write and get my things together.
My head was telling me that my precious time was being wasted on dishes when I could be doing more productive things. I was trying to get madder and so I calmed myself down with the notion that when I confronted the lazy person, I would calmly offer them the opportunity to be lazy somewhere else. My heart told me the truth, “You can get with this, or you can get with that.”
In that moment I decided that I would evolve and choose peace. When I did, my heart asked me to breathe and see the good. As I did I saw the positive possibilities for the future; in them, my kid was not a homeless bum and I was not serving time.
This was a simple thing, but I know how it could have spiraled. Today, when you feel the pressures of life pushing you to the edge start singing, and remind yourself that “You can get with this or you can get with that.”

Breathe, chose joy and be well.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment