Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 308; The Hope of The Future


The Hope of the Future

Yesterday, I met the hope of the future. I’m not exaggerating even a bit. I was with a group called College for Every Student; an organization---no, movement that uses research on college preparedness and success management to locate, mentor and see rural and inner-city first generation K-12 students to and through a college career. (Read More)

I met young folks who were kind and smart all at once. They knew what they wanted to be and why. Their mentors could melt your heart by just looking at you and the business partners from Ernst and Young were time travelers who had decided that the future of investment was at this conference.

My mother used to say that “Folks who need to be impressed haven’t done anything impressive,” so I won’t tell you that I was impressed; I was moved to my core.

These were my people. Having been found and mentored by amazing educators like, Karen Denton, Leander Morris and Bebe Coker, I know what it’s like to have someone believe in you even when you have a hard time believing in yourself.

I met a young man whose father had accompanied him. The two seemed like best friends. There were points where I could not tell which was which. After I spoke, the son looked me in the eyes and told me that I would be in his heart forever; he is just 17.

Here’s my big what if; What if every student got to go to college and each one had mentors and guides like Guinan on Star Trek? What if the colleges and businesses came looking for students who read the most books and did the most acts of kindness? What if helping out was our national sport and every year we had an Olympic Dream Team of do-gooders?

I have an early flight, so I’m still in the clouds, and I want to stay this way.

Dream a future for every student.

Be you, be well, be a dreamer.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment