Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 285: Are You Doing What You Should Do?


Doing What You Must

I do lots of things, but I also know that there are things that I was born to do. I believe we all have these unique abilities; sort of like Neo in the Matrix (I love that movie.)
One of the things I was born to do it to write. I do so daily, but I don’t always work on the projects I promised my ancestors that I would complete.
This may sound a little crazy, but stay with me for a moment; I believe, (NOTE: I did not say I know,) that our DNA is not the only thing we inherit from our ancestors; we are also given their progress.
 What we do with it is up to us. We can take the blue pill and continue in our day to day lives moving about as if everything we see is real but what we hear and feel are false, or we can take the red one and  truly awaken to the world around us and in us.
I took the red one a long time ago. In fact, I may have even been born in Zion. At any rate, I know (as the church folks say, “I feel my help coming.” By the by; it never leaves you,) that I have a job that has gone undone.
In addition to writing this daily post, which I love, I am also charged with writing stories. We are connected by our stories.
 I recently met a woman who wanted to take a picture of me, I asked her where she was from. She told me that she was from Augusta, Georgia. I told her that I had been there for a Keb Mo concert. She said she had been there too. Then she amazed me when she said, “You must be the woman who drove all the way from Savannah.” I asked her how she knew, she laughed and said, “There were three black women there, me and you and your friend. Everybody was talking about the beautiful strangers.”
I love hearing the way life connects. These stories often end up in my books in some way or another. When they do, I believe; correction, I know that I am honoring the ancestors whose memories we bring together when we simply meet and share.
So here’s the question, what are you not doing that you need to be doing? What did you tell your ancestors that you would carry forth? My great-grandfather John Henry Freeman told stories to my mother and the rest of the community sitting around in a barn. At the end of her life, my mother remembered and began to share the stories with me.
I am a writer because John Henry Freeman and my mother were the “writers” of their time.
·         What do you need to do?

·         Why did you take the blue pill?

You will know that you are back on track, doing what you have been purposed to do, because life will seem lighter and things will come to you more easily.


Honor the ancestors and they will honor you.
Be well, be wonderful, be complete.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment