Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 278; Knowing When to Say No

Down, but so not out

Knowing When to Say No—or at least not yet

Yesterday, I had to make a hard call. It was hard for me because I will always try to find the way to do for someone else, even when it is difficult for me to do so.
I started the year with the intention of donating a kidney; I still intend to do so. But I have had to take a hard and honest look at my health. After a minor accident turned into a major mess, I’m dealing with the aftermath of post-concussive junk which sometimes leaves me in a state of pain and frustration. For the most part, I am much better than I have ever been but there are days that are really rough.
So yesterday, after weeks of agonizing, I decided to put the transplant on hold until I am back at full capacity. Now, this is a no brainer (pun intended) for most folks. In fact, too many of my friends were not happy about the decision to donate at all. (I’m sure that they would have felt differently if they had been the one in need.)
At any rate, what I have come to learn in this process of healing is that I can still be the giver, but I have to give to myself first.
I have to rest when others want me to be up. I have to shut down when some are just getting their second wind. And I have to be prepared for the work that is my job; work that requires that I rest whenever I can.
Today, I’d like you to ask yourself these questions:

·         Are you pushing through even when you know you need to stop or slow down?

·         Is there something you need to put on the back burner?

·         Can you be more loving and giving to yourself?

·         Do you understand that you will always have a chance to take care of someone else?

If you answered yes, then you know what to do. I can’t tell you. As I’ve said so many times before; the only person you can change is you.

Get ta stepping.

Be you, be well, be well cared for

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment