Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day 238; Why Angels Leave Us...


Why Angels Leave
 or
 Things That Make You Go Hmmm

From time to time, I have the need to rent a car. My van is old, but still runs great and I want to keep her that way, so when I have to take long car trips I whip out my AARP card and rent a car. (Seriously folks, if you are over 45 and don’t have an AARP card, you are missing out. Once you get one, you will see why us OGs are always going somewhere.)
Anyway, when I went to the airport car rental, I noticed that the stern, all business looking guy whom I typically try to avoid was open and I was next. (Don’t act like you don’t have folks you try to skip by; I know that I am not alone in this.)
I went up to the guy and just as I expected, it was all business. Name—address—
He had all of this information in front of him, but still, he went by the book. Then out of nowhere, he began to tell me about a woman who had come in from New York. She had told him about the shootings at The Empire State Building. If she had not been traveling, he said, she would have been there.
Just as he was telling me this, my World Trade Center ID card that I have been holding onto fell from my wallet. I keep it there as a reminder of the fact that I was supposed to be on the 132nd floor of the towers that September 11th.
I’d been scheduled for a meeting there, but I had been in NY two weekends prior because of a friend’s illness and then her passing and I just didn’t feel like going back.
I showed the card to the rental agent and told him the story.
He looked at me and smiled and said; “You’ve got lots of angels.”
I smiled back and said, “Okay.” I was thinking, “But don’t we all?” As if he read my mind, he shared his beliefs.
“When you do the right thing, guardian angels hang around, but if you don’t they leave.”
For a moment I was taken aback. I was thinking of how well this idea would fit into the novel I’m working on. I told the man that I loved this belief and he told me that it wasn’t a belief, it was a fact.
As a way of proof he asked me a question; “Think about it,” he said, “would you hang around someone who was always doing wrong? Angels don’t either.”
I smiled and signed the necessary rental forms and thanked him for sharing.
Just as I was about to leave, he flashed the Gnostic hand symbol; the same one I had been researching the day before.

·         Who do you misjudge?

·         When you put down your guard, what do you learn?

·         What belief or idea have you heard lately that made you go “Hmm?”

Keep your eyes, ears and hearts open; you never know who and what you may encounter.

Be you, be well, be OPEN
Bertice Berry, PhD.

2 comments:

  1. "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares" (Hebrews) :) What a lovely blog this is! So glad I stumbled upon it.

    ReplyDelete