Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 236; What If?


What IF

Yesterday I landed in Austin Texas where the unofficial motto is “We’re keeping it weird.”
Weird is such an understatement. In my schedule notes, I saw that a woman named Mary would be picking me up. I didn’t see anyone with a sign baring my name and I knew that most folks are still looking for someone one with long dreadlocks. Since I’ve cut my hair, I’m pretty unrecognizable to friends; to strangers or folks who saw me years ago, I’m the last person they expect. (Sounds funny to me too.)
Anyway, I walked up to a woman who appeared to be as lost as I was and I asked her is her name was Mary, she looked into my eyes and said “Well, I’m going through a divorce.”
I explained myself  and we laughed for a bit. But I felt for this woman who’s divorce was at the top of her mind.
I called the number in my notes and had to laugh again when I found that the woman coming for me was not named Mary after all, she was Nancy.
So I went back to the woman who was going through the divorce and told her that the woman I was waiting for was not named Mary either.
We laughed and I told her that maybe it all happened for a reason; that I was simply here to tell her that everything was going to be okay. I watched as her bottom lip began to quiver and I smiled and told her she could always change her name to Mary. She cried until she laughed.

What if we are here to help each other along the journey?

What if we are given the opportunity to lift someone’s load every day, but we don’t know it?

What if your job is to be an inspiration to someone else?

What if a stranger helped you find the peace you needed?

Be you, be well, be the inspiration.

Bertice Berry, PhD

 

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know what a blessing it was to hear you speak at our convocation this morning. You put so many things into perspective for me that I hadn't even realized were out of place in my mind. I know that you spoke so many things that so many needed to hear. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! It was absolutely wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Berry, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate what you shared with us today! Your words of inspiration helped adjust my focus for the school year. I certainly hope to keep my filter clean and walk with purpose!! God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of the teachers at today's convocation. I want to thank you for sharing all of your energy and wisdom with us. After you left, it was unanimously agreed that we would like to have you back with us again next year. Thank you so much for helping us "move forward" with great optimism, love and humor!

    ReplyDelete