Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 221: Beware the Complainers

Be joyous and expectant of nothing
but infinite good.

Beware the Complainers

I woke up this morning feeling grateful and happy to be here. As I went through my normal routine of making the bed as soon as my feet hit the floor and saying a word of thanks as I do so, I noticed how light and joyful I felt. I glided into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth and smiled at myself as I did so. I looked in the mirror and was grateful for the beautiful reflection that smiled back at me.
And then something happened; when I sat at my desk and opened the news on line, the joy seemed to slowly leak out from me. I stopped reading and decided to investigate this gradual change in my demeanor and there it was; even though I had not been consciously reading every article, the headlines were there for my mind to pick up and process.
There were complaints about the hair or celebratory dances of Gold Medal Olympians, complaints about the quality of the first color pictures coming back from Mars (seriously folks) and complaints about complaints.
As I read these articles more consciously, I could feel a more direct link to the change in my mood
Constant complaining is draining for the complainer and the listener. We are living in a world where spectating is no longer enough, folks are making a sport out of complaining about what they themselves can’t or won’t do.
It turns out that there are professional complainers; people who complain for compensation. (I would not like to see their karma bill.)
Join me in a complaint free day. Let’s move from the complaint department over to the gratitude department. Let’s talk about what went right and what is good.
When you look at your own self in the mirror, smile and if you don’t like what you see, be grateful for the mirror---I’m kidding, but just a little. If you don’t like what you see, change your thoughts.

The world you see around you is also a reflection of the one inside you.

Be you, be well, be the compliment
Bertice Berry, PhD.

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard the wonderful posimusic song by Harold Payne: "No Complaints Whatsoever"? I sing it occasionally to myself to lift my mood around my negative coworkers. I love PosiMusic!!

    Blessings,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete