Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 225; MAke New Friends But...



Make New Friends, But Keep The Old Ones

When I was growing up, everyone in my elementary school had to learn the song that went like this; “Make new friends, but keep the old ones, one is silver and the other is gold.

I love making new friends, some come quickly, while others have had to grow on me or maybe it was me growing on them.

This weekend, I had the opportunity to consult on a project which brought together an amazing group of beautiful women. I felt as if I had found sisters I didn’t even know I had. They were all warm and intelligent, believing in the inherent good of humanity.

I am exhausted. I stayed up all night chatting with my roomie and then spent the day working on the project.

That evening we went out later than I can really hang but I knew the evening would be too much fun to miss.

One of my old sisters came by and joined in with the new.

I was reminded of how children are capable of quickly making friends  when they are young, but then as they get older, something happens.

I used to marvel at how my daughter would play with someone at recess and would then soon proclaim that they were her best friend. I’d ask what happened to the old friend and she would say that she still had them but had just added a newest best friend.

Today, I’d like you to be like a young person;

·         Call and old friend

·         Go out and make a new one

Be you, be well, be the friend.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

1 comment: