Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 136 of Your Year to Wellness; Doing the Thing

Stop preparing to live and go do it

Doing The Thing to Do The Thing
When it comes to wasting time, the people I work with all have a saying; “We don’t need to do the thing to do the thing.”

“Doing the thing to do the thing” refers to things like having a meeting about the meeting before you actually have the main meeting or sending an email before you send the email of the email you’re about to send. But it can also refer to things like driving a car to the gym so you can walk on a treadmill.
Too much of our time and energy is spent on doing the thing to do the thing; so much so that when it’s time to do the actual thing, we have no energy left.
Don’t get me wrong, I am a firm believer in preparation and planning. I’ve often said that preparation beats will-power any day of the week. But when you are having a pre-meeting for the sake of pre-meeting, with all of the same folks who will be in on the meeting, then you are not really doing preparation work; you are doing the thing to do the thing.
I love a dry run. I often take a drive to a place I need to be so I know exactly where I’m going when it’s time to get there. That way, I avoid the stress of being lost and worse yet; late. Preparation is critical; but eating dinner before you eat dinner is doing the thing to do the thing.
This morning, I have to catch an early flight, so last night I packed my bags, laid out my clothes and got to bed early. That’s preparation, but if I took those clothes and put them on, drove to the airport and then came home to do it again in the morning, I’d be doing the thing to do the thing.
I hope you are getting this because a great deal of your energy for life is not spent on living, it’s spent in preparation for living and too often, preparation is as close as you get.

Let’s stop doing the thing to do the thing and as the young folks say, just go on and do the dang thing.

Be you, be well, be living.
Bertice Berry, PhD.


No comments:

Post a Comment