Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 124 of Your Year to Wellness; Hold on


It Could be Worse

I’ve been trying to avoid writing this post. I wrote the title down a few days ago when it came to me and then I tried to not look at it.
I guess I really don’t like comparing my present to another possibility. I feel that I can be grateful without needing to see someone else’s woes. But the message kept coming back to me; it could be worse.
I’ve been hearing from loads of folks who are going through and each time, I tell them to hold on; things will get better. I don’t ever tell someone in the midst of a struggle, “Things could be worse, child.”
So, why do I feel compelled to write it now? I think that for the most part, I’m talking to myself and to those who already know this truth.
As I’m dealing with the whole tinnitus and now balance thing I am amazed at the fact that I am crying one moment and laughing the next. In those moments of laughter I have reminded myself of a simple thing my sister Chris says whenever one of our relatives complains about getting older. “You can still wash yourself.” She says, though I’m cleaning it up just a bit.
“When you can’t then you can complain.” The relative always laughs and then thanks Chris and for that moment she is renewed.
We should never ignore the body’s signals when they tell us something it wrong. We need to get things checked out and then we need to follow up on the recommendations. You should get your annual physicals every year on or near your birthday.
When all is well, celebrate and when it is not, work to get better. In the mean while know that life is just like the river; it ebbs and flows. You must learn to live with and without. Rejoice when things are good and when they are difficult. Life happens and whatever is happening to you right now is a lesson for the future.

·         Rest when you need to

·         Cry when you need to

·         Laugh

·         Share your heart and story with those who need it

·         Be grateful

Remember, things can get worse and we can make them worse with our attitude, complaints and failure to notice what is.
Be grateful for who you are and what you have and keep on keeping on.
Be you, be well, be NOW
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment