Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 269; Can You Keep A Secret?


Can You Keep a Secret?

I’m sitting here at my desk wanting to write about something that I can’t. I’ve signed a confidentiality agreement and so I won’t.
But there are times in all of our lives when someone tells us something that is so good we want to tell the world. There are others when the thing is so bad that we want to tell the world.
Fortunately, my news is the former. But it got me to wondering about the whole telling and sharing of secrets and gossip.
For the most part, I’m one of those folks you can tell a secret to and never hear it again; that’s because I forget it. Still, I wonder why folks ask you to hold onto something that they themselves could not.
I understand the confidentiality of work; it is necessary. Whenever I’m working on a project that requires it, I ask that folks not divulge the details or information we have shared. When it’s so good that we can’t stand it, we simply talk to each other.
Gossip though is another matter; when someone starts to tell me something that they can’t keep of the negative sort, I ask them to just keep on holding it. I used to ask them to dump their trash somewhere else, but I don’t even want them to do that.
We gossip in an attempt to make our own self feel better. We think that by putting someone else down, we are elevated. Life does not work that way. Making someone else more sinful or ugly or stupid will not make you a beautiful and brilliant saint. It makes you a gossip.
When you carry trash, you will smell of it. (Wow, I’m going to remember that line and use it again.)
Stay true to your own life.
Stay in your lane.
Hold on to the joy of confidential news. If you have to talk about it; do so with the person who told you.
Don’t dump or pick up trash.
Good news will make you smile and stand taller. Gossip will bring you down.
Ask yourself how you want to feel and let your heart do the talking.
Be you, be well, be wonderful.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment