Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 262; Stay True To You


Stay True to You

A few days ago, while talking to a friend an amazing question was posed. We were talking about a young person who had vowed to do for another, but had failed to do for himself. My friend had asked the young man a simple question, “I know what you promised to do for her, but why can’t you do the same for your own self?”
The young man had been stymied by the question. He stammered and wondered until it occurred to him that what he was willing to do for others, he had not been willing to do for himself.
When I heard this, I had to look through my own life. Givers and doers tend to be amazingly loyal---to everyone but themselves.
You promise yourself a little rest and then you cheat on yourself to make sure that someone else gets the time and attention they want. You promise yourself a massage, but then decide that you can use that money for someone else’s wants.
The questions this morning is simple; what are you willing to do for you?
What have you done for you lately?
Why are you cheating on yourself?
Folks who are loyal have no problem remaining true to others; the problem is with being true to themselves.
Don’t get mad at me, I’m just the messenger.
Now, I’m going to catch a plane, so I can give a different message to someone else.

Be you, be true, to you.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment