Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 201: Angels and Vampires and New Ideas---Stay With Me


Angels and Vampires and New Ideas--Stay With Me

If you think that the title of today’s post is a little odd, you’re right; if you don’t, well, I don’t even want to get into it.
So I’ll just jump right in and explain. A few weeks ago, when I drove my brain into a writer’s block, I turned on the radio to dance my way back to normal. I heard an artist I hadn’t heard in years. Terrence Trent, D’Arby was crooning his raspy, soulful voice through Sign My Name.
I love his voice and began to wonder where he had been and why I hadn’t heard him. I did a quick search and found that he, like so many artists had gone independent. I also learned that he had changed his name to Sananda Maitreya. He had also released volumes 1 and 2 of albums he’d named Angels and Vampires and just when I was about to laugh and shake my head, I came upon and interview he’d done and actually listened to what he had to say.
Maitreya said that there is an epic battle between the Angles; those who recognize themselves as a vessel for spirit and the Vampires, those who would keep the light blotted out so they can continue to manipulate in darkness.
“Wow! This sounds like the novel I’m working on.” I said out loud. My daughter asked what I was talking about and before I could explain she was shaking her head and laughing at me.
Here’s my point and the lesson for today; we don’t know that we don’t know something until we look with new eyes and child-like curiosity.
Today, allow your dance break to turn into a research project and let yourself wander down the lane of “I wonder.”
You need to learn new things on a regular basis. Your brain is only 2% of your body mass and yet it uses about 26% of your energy. Learning something new requires even more energy, but by learning new things, you have made it easier to learn more. Each new idea creates a new pathway through your brain connecting one road to another and your capacity for learning is greater.
Finding Maitreya’s Angels and Vampires was not the prize; it was following the path that led me there.
Learn something new and then allow yourself to wonder until you learn something else.

Be you, be well, be a seeker.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment