Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 188 of Your Year to Wellness; An Ounce of Prevention

If a tree falls in your yard and nobody sees it...

          An Ounce of Prevention…
Is Still Worth a Pound of Cure

Preventative medicine seems to be on everyone’s mind, but we need to move that thought to our hearts.
Even after spending the last four years with a focus on getting well, I still get sick. In fact, I have experienced more illness in the last two years than the 50 before. One might think that being well has made me sick, but of course this is not true. Many of the illnesses I’ve experienced had been lying dormant all along. Getting well has helped me to manage and recover from the illnesses that would have become much worse if I had not gotten well.
I think the reason we spend little effort with prevention is the same reason we wait for something to go wrong before we see a doctor or naturopath; we believe that if we don’t see a problem, then there is none.
But what we can’t see might be killing us and what we prevent can save our lives.
Last week, we had a tremendous thunderstorm. Late at night, my sister rounded everyone up and told us to get to the lower level. I had been in a deep sleep and had no idea that anything was happening.
My son reported that he had heard a very loud crack but he looked around and there didn’t seem to be any damage to the house. As we huddled together and talked, I could see the worry on my sister Chris’ face. She said that she had never seen a storm like this one and didn’t want to again.
After things died down, we all hugged one another and then went back to our rooms. I told Chris that I was grateful that she had instructed me to take precautions the week before, trimming trees and removing limbs and things that might have caused other damage.
It was not until a few days later that we realized that a huge tree in our front yard had been struck by lightning and had been split in half.
We all stared at it for quite some time and I wondered “what if?”
Needless to say, I am grateful to not have to know.
Life is not a philosophy course where you get to ponder and imagine without any consequences. We didn’t see the tree fall in the woods, but it fell.
You cannot see everything that is going on inside the forest of your body, but that does not mean that everything is well.
More importantly, you don’t need to wait to find out what might be wrong. Keep yourself from falling by making sure that your insides are healthy and your environment is safe.

Even with inflation an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.
Be you, be well, be proactive

Bertice Berry, PhD.




No comments:

Post a Comment