Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 198 of Your Year to Wellness; Keeping Your Wits


Keeping Your Wits About You

Sometimes it’s hard to maintain your calm when all about you is not. Yesterday, my flight was delayed and then after we finally boarded the very full flight, we had to sit on the runway for 2 hours before we could take off.

My connecting flight had already been changed, but after the second delay, I had missed that too. Folks began to grumble and complain, but the flight attendant and pilot gave constant updates which really does make a difference.
I began to wonder what life would be like if there were constant updates whenever something didn’t go as planned.
“Your kid has done something stupid, but he will get back on course in a few weeks.” Or, your co-worker called in sick and the day will be hectic, but you will get through it and get go home.”
I’d love it if the bank gave our headsets whenever they made a mistake.
After we realized that we’d be spending the night in Atlanta, we calmly walked over to the crowded shuttle area and calmly waited for the  van to the hotel.
When we finally got to the crowded lobby where people were pushing and shoving, I wanted to tell everyone to calm down, and let them know that they were going to get a room. But when one man practically knocked me down to get in receptionist before me; all I could say was “really?”
He spun around and yelled, “What do you mean by that?” I thought of many things to say but I just laughed and told him to go to bed.
The amazing thing about stress is that it really does take you out of your comfort zone.
You can't control the airlines and they can't control the weather; but we can work hard to control our own emotions.
Constant information, updates and the ability to yield will  keep you on your course.
I’m still not home, but I know that I will be.
Be you, be well, be reminded.
Bertice Berry, PhD.


No comments:

Post a Comment