Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 181 of Your Year to Wellness; Enough Really Is

"I'm good enough ...and doggone it,
people like me."

Enough

This morning while still in the state of I-just-woke-up-and-everything-is-possible, the word enough came into my consciousness, so I looked it up.
There it was; a beautiful/symmetrical definition that said what we all need to hear; sufficient for the purpose of satisfaction.
At first glance, the definition of enough can sound like a let-down; a settlement or compromise. It is anything but. Enough really is enough.
I looked at the word sufficient and got the image of  trying to repair something with the wrong tool. The right tool; the sufficient tool is the one that will get the job done. Yet we don’t jump for joy when we use a hammer to drive a nail, but if you ever try to do it with a shoe because no hammer is available, and then someone showed up with a hammer, you would understand the joy of being sufficient.
In the wee hours, I was also amazed to see that we seem to know when we have had enough of something we don’t like, but can’t turn off the switch when we have enough of what we do. I pondered the question of satisfaction and wondered how we ever came to think that being satisfied is not enough.
I will always strive to be better, do more, to reach and teach; but there has to be a point of knowing that you ARE enough.

So today’s lesson is sweet and simple, though I feel that the impact will be great.
I’d like you to do one of those touchy-feely things we were fond of back in the 70’s and I want you to enjoy it. (Wow, my mother skills are amazing.)
First I’d like you to look at yourself in a mirror and simply say “I am enough.” That’s it; nothing more or less.  Understanding that you are sufficient for your own joy is a major accomplishment.
Secondly, I’d like you to tell someone that they satisfy you. (Get your mind out of the gutter and get back to the work at hand.) In other words, let that person know that they are more than good enough, they are sufficient for the task of being your teacher.

I hope that this lesson leaves you knowing that it and you are enough.

Be you, be well, be at peace.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment