Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 166 of Your Year to Wellness; Getting Out of the Slump


And Reclaiming Your Passion

Summertime is supposed to be fun time, but for a lot of folks it brings on the blues. Most of us are aware of the winter blues, but the summer can be a challenge as well.
The summers’ changes in schedule, financial worries, heat and the fear of having to show up in a bathing suit can have a tremendous impact on a person’s psychological well-being. 
 I believe that the there is another factor contributing to the ho-hum feeling that people get this time of year; it’s the the half-way point and why-haven’t-I-accomplished-more feeling we all get when we strive to be and do our best.
We are not quite half way through the year, but lots of folks are already feeling as if the year is over. “Can you believe how fast the year has gone?” They declare before sighing.
When you have a goal in mind, you may constantly check the date and wonder where the time went and how it got by you so quickly.
Time is not your enemy; when used wisely it will become your best friend.
Here are some tips for reclaiming your joy, passion and commitment to your goals.

·         Find a small self-improvement activity and do it daily. Begin with the goal of 3 days and then increase it to 7. From there move up to 21. Keep a journal, start dancing or take a class. Infuse your daily living with a new daily project that is fun and informative.

·         Be spontaneous. A few days ago when I was stuck in a writer’s block, I went out and drove down a street I had never been on. I was amazed at what I had not seen before. I got lost and didn’t care and in the process I forgot my frustration as well. Give yourself the gift of going off schedule. My 15 minute break gave me more energy than an energy drink ever could.

·         Get out of bed. Sometimes, just getting up can be difficult. Begin by flexing your toes and fingers, getting your blood flowing. Stretch while still in bed and then get up and start your day. It’s good to rest, but lying around doing nothing will sometimes bring you down further.

·         Connect with the people, things and ideas that you love but have forgotten. Get a good book, listen to a wonderful piece of music or dust off your old bike.

·         Remember the old adage that the best things in life are free. Research and find them; then get up and do them.


My mother used to say, “Even iron wears out.” When I was young, I had no idea what she was talking about, but now that I’m a bit older, I can see that she was telling me that the strongest of the strong get tired.


Find ways to recharge your energy, renew your commitment to wellbeing and maintain your love for life.

Be you, be well, be Renewed.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment