Thursday, February 28, 2013

What is Real and What is Imagined


What is Real and What is Imagined

As I wrote yesterday, your brain does not know the difference between what you see and what you imagine. The mind however, is a different matter. It holds onto and builds upon every memory and each experience.

These abilities can be used to your advantage. They can also work to your disadvantage.

Many years ago, when I had just graduated from Jacksonville University, I took a job with the city in the Victim’s Assistance Office as a researcher. The job required that I design forms and questionnaires and I also helped conduct a city-wide survey assessing the experiences of victims of crimes. It was important work.

People who have been victims of even what we’d think of as indirect acts of crime, experience trauma and often have a very difficult time recovering.

One of the things that stood out in the research was the level of fear of crime in comparison to the actual experience thereof.

People were more prepared for burglary than they were prepared to read to their children. We have more fear of someone coming into our home at night than we do of the destruction we do in our own homes to one another.

Over and over again I would ask respondents about the degree to which they expected to be violated and then I would ask if they had ever been. They would say they had never been and then they would go on and on about how they had to be ready.

Today, I want you to be ready to be happy, healthy and loved.

Arm your life with an alarm that tells you when you are about to be unhappy and then quickly do something about it. Imagine that you are happy. Imagine that you are well. Imagine that you are whole.

Begin to see yourself in the state you desire rather than the one you fear. You can manifest either.

See yourself as beautiful, smart and loved. Imagine that you have what you need and begin to live that way.

Smile, breathe, love more deeply than ever before and when adversity comes, you will be prepared.

I have been victimized and abused, but I refuse to be what happened to me.

I am a reflection of Love on earth.

Be you, be well, be LOVE

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment