Monday, February 18, 2013

Week 7; Finding and Living Your Purpose



Finding and Living Your Purpose

I’ve been writing and teaching about the notion of Purpose for over 30 years. When I first started out, people thought I was crazy.
This was long before books, tapes and motivational speakers had laid out the idea. It was before Corporate America had come to realize that neither the carrot nor the stick were enough to motivate its workforce.
Back when I began to talk about Purpose, most people had not considered the fact that their true motivation was not money or the lack thereof. Back then, we worked for a paycheck and expected to hate what we did until we couldn’t do it anymore.
Much of the generational divide that is experienced today is a result of the fact that younger folks have grown up with a desire for purpose in their lives.
On the other hand, us OGs (Old Guard) are often envious of youngsters who can leave a job or not take one simply because they do not feel fulfilled by it.
But, I digress—I was trying to convey to you is that the idea of Purpose is new to our world, but it is not new. Still, when I’d talk about it with my doctoral colleagues, I was laughed at and told to find something concrete or change my major to philosophy.
Your Purpose is not your job, it is your calling.
Everyone has a Divine Appointment; something that only they alone can do. Finding your Purpose and living it requires that you go inside yourself to find the very essence and reason for your existence.
One of the best examples of a Purpose-filled life is that of William Wilberforce the famous abolitionist. Wilberforce was born with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth and was given all of the necessary tools for success. He became one of youngest members of Parliament and was primed for greatness.
However, after a spiritual conversion, Wilberforce wrote a mission statement that would change his history and the history of the world.
“God has set before me two great objects: the suppression of the Slave Trade and the reformation of manners.” By reformation of manners, Wilberforce meant the restoration of a civilized society.
The task took almost 50 years, but Wilberforce accomplished his incredible task  just 3 days before he passwed away.
You can read more about the amazing life of William Wilberforce, but what I’d like you to see here is that you must decide and design what it is you are here to do. [More about Wilberforce]
Throughout this week, I will outline tools and information to guide you in the determination, design and implementation of a life that is led by your very own Purpose.
External drives don’t last. When you find your true internal motivation, you will work beyond what is comfortable, you will be more compassionate and loving and you will find balance of the spirit and body and peace of mind.
Today, begin to ask yourself the following questions:

·         What has been your greatest struggle?

·         What are you passionate about?

·         Describe your life’s journey; including your ancestral make-up.

·         If money were no object and you could do anything, what would it be and why?

I know, I know, this is heady stuff, but throughout the week, I hope you find that it’s more hearty than heady.
"You are unique. In all the world there is no one like you. In all the world there is no one who can do what you can do."~~ Society of Friends
What are you here for?

Be you, be well, be your Purpose.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Bertice. You always know the right thing to say. I am starting my journey to the next step of my journey. You are right on target. I am passionate about creating the "optimal environment" for a customer. I will find the appropriate avenue for my passion... or I will die trying (because I will keep at it until I die:)).

    ReplyDelete