Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Immigration from The Inside Out


Immigration from The Inside Out

This week’s lesson has been on living from the inside out. It requires that you live your life and see things from the inside of the issue rather than from the surface.
I’ve been reading a book called Voodoo in my Blood; A Healers Journey from Surgeon to Shaman by my friend and sister Carolle Jean Murat, M.D.
Dr. Carolle was my GYN when I lived in San Diego. To visit her, you had to go to the Native American Reservation because her practice was all about helping women to heal. Until I read her book, I had no idea of the struggle she had both externally and internally with Western medicine.
Every woman I know dreads her annual check-up. Even when you are healthy, it’s not one you want to encounter. I should have known that there was magic involved with Dr. Carolle; I was always amazed when she’d pronounce that she was done because I never felt her start
She’d do a little dance and say, “That’s it.”
In her book, I also learned of the struggle of one who comes to the U. S. from another country in search of a better life.
If Americans are concerned about new immigrants taking their jobs, they should be. For the most part, these are folks who have battled the problems in their own country, have endured the struggle of learning a new language (most speak at the very least 3,) have had to endure the bureaucratic process and paperwork involved with getting here and have no problem with standing in lines.
Many come from countries where they have learned to respect their elders, authority, the government and all that is holy; in other words, they don’t make waves.
They are willing to defer gratification, putting off what they want until they can earn what they truly need.
In comparison, we have been spoiled, expecting to get what we want when we want it. We complain about the line at Starbucks and write letters of protest when our favorite television show has been cancelled.
I’m asking you to look closely at what immigrants bring to the country and then I want you to recall what your ancestors brought. Whether they were slave or free, this country is great because of our ancestor’s diversity. Nothing grows in a vacuum; the more you experience, the more you evolve.
I dare you to sit down and listen to the story of someone who came here from someplace else. Before you start comparing your own story, listen fully to theirs.
Learn of the silent struggle that they have not shared, but still live. Turn off your selfishness and hear the lesson you need to hold dear.
I’ve known Dr. Carolle for many years, but until I read her story, I had no idea why she lit up every room. I did not understand why I was willing to fly back from Savannah to San Diego for a simple pap smear. I did not fully comprehend the amazing power of this woman to heal your heart and all that ails you.
Do yourself another favor and get her book; I wasn’t able to put it down---which let me know that even from miles away, I was being healed. You see, after a serious concussion last year, it has taken me months to finish one book; something I usually did in one or two days.(Read more and Order)
As I read her words, I was strengthened and I was healed.
Whatever issue you are facing; look at it from the inside out. As you do, know that the surface is only the manifestation of a larger problem.

Be you be well, be inside out.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment