Monday, February 18, 2013

Purpose: Your Mission Statement

Live your Purpose so well, that others see it in you

Purpose: Your Mission Statement
Just as every company, foundation and association should have a mission statement; a proclamation of its intention for serving its customer, so should you.
Your Purpose is not your job, it is your calling, so no matter what your job, you should be living and working with your Purpose in mind.
I majored in sociology, three times. After I earned my doctoral degree, I told my family I was going to be a comedian. Needless to say, they thought I had lost my mind.
I’ve been an educator, lecturer, author of both fiction and non-fiction, a TV talk-show host, a cleaning woman (girl,) owner of an art gallery, a mother and oh yes a sociologist. In each and every job, I was living my intention; to educate, entertain, uplift, inform and inspire others to seek their highest potential for learning and being.
Sounds like a lofty goal but when you compare it to that of Harriet Tubman’s mission of setting the captives free, it seems somewhat small. The more I think about it, me and old Harriett have the same goal after all.
This morning, I have to catch an early flight. I had to yesterday when I came back home and I will again tomorrow. Travel is not always easy, but travel is not my Purpose, it is merely the vehicle for living my mission.
You can live out your Purpose in whatever profession you choose, but you must live it.
In order to live it, you must know it.
Today, write out a brief statement of your mission. Who will you serve? How will you serve them?
Your Purpose is not about you or your comfort in life; your Purpose is about changing the lives and level of comfort of others. But living your Purpose will bring comfort to you.
As my mother used to say, “If you don’t like it you can lump it.”
I have no idea what she meant, so I chose “like it.”

Be you, be well, be on a mission.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this post!!! Thank you for your guiding words of encouragement Dr. Bertice :)

    ReplyDelete