Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Getting Rid of your Fear

Havng a good time and loving it

Getting Rid of Your Fear

Okay boys and girls, if you haven’t gone deep enough, get your diving gear on because we are going deeper.
Through the years, I’ve learned that life is a lot like swimming; the further out you go, the easier it gets, but you have to get past your fear and let go of the edge.

A great deal of the insecurity you have today is based on a fear you had when you were younger. Over the years you’ve added more examples to your pile of fear and while you may have forgotten the original fright, you have held on to the anxiety that comes with anything that resembles it.

I’ll give you an example. When I was young I had one of the best days of my life. All of my siblings and every one of my cousins had gone to Lum’s Pond. It was a murky old thing, but to us it was the best place in the world.

We played and swam and laughed all day. I remember looking into the sky thinking this will be the day by which all days are measured. (I was just 12 but already writing in my head.)
The day was perfect but it was not what came to be remembered. Someone came and got us and we all went to my grandmother’s house. When we got there, my mother and her sisters were crying.
We soon learned that my grandmother had died.

From that moment on, I became fearful of having too good of a time. It may sound crazy to you and it should, but this is the way the brain works. It seeks to protect you from a danger or harm, but it doesn’t know the difference between what is real and what is imagined. Additionally, the brain remembers every detail of the negative so that you try to avoid that danger in the future.
I have seen in my own self a fear whenever things seem too perfect. Sometimes I do the right thing, but there have been many times when I have not.

We all suffer from anxiety and fear; sometimes that fear is real, but more often than not it is based on what we have imagined and enhanced.

Time to put on the diving gear; please don’t forget the breathing tank.

Recall a moment when you were worried, really worried. Think about the thing that gave you more anxiety than anything else. If you look close enough, you will see that your level of worry did not match the problem you faced.

Now go deeper and look at what truly caused you to be more concerned than you needed to be.

What is the source?
Now, pay close attention boys and girls, because the best part is up to you. Now that you know the source of your concern make the decision to do something about it. You will have to do this on a daily basis. You will need to work on this thing until the button that gets pushed is no longer working.

Whenever I feel a moment of fear because I’m having too good of a time, I simply tell myself that I deserve it and if anything happens, then so does life. It is the natural order of things.

Be you, be well, be diving deeper.
Bertice Berry, PhD.
Order the book A Year to Wellness and start your journey TODAY

No comments:

Post a Comment