Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Social Self-Defense
Location

When my older brother was a teenager, he often found himself in trouble. My mother’s first question to him was always the same, “What were you doing over there?”

I often pondered her query, wondering what his location had to do with it. I have come to understand that location is about much more than real estate.

The protection of your spirit/psyche/self is an offensive one and it lies in where it lies.

Your Self is housed in a body. Therefore, you must first and foremost strive to be healthy.

The body that houses your Self should be as well. (Wellness is the balance of the spirit, mind and body.)

Basics like eating food from the earth and moving your body on a consistent basis, drinking good water often and keeping your skin clean are just the beginning of wellness.

In addition to caring for the house you are located in, you must also strive to be in good company.

I’ve written it before and I’ll write it again; the Self is social. We are a product and bi-product of everything and everyone we encounter. How and who we encounter affects who you become.

Wherever I am, I strive to be whole and healthy. I strive to shine a light of joy and I seek to connect with like-hearted folks.

Today, and every day, ask yourself the following:

Am I in a healthy space?

In my desire to be wanted and accepted, have I placed my Self in danger?

What space and mind-place gives me joy?

Go there and be at peace.
Be you, be well, be the light.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment