Monday, July 8, 2013

Week 27 of The Art of Living: FInding True Balance by Learning to Play


Learning to Play

On my very first day of school, I cried so much that the teacher had to take me to the principal’s office. It was the only time I would ever have such a trip. When the principal, Mrs. Moses asked why I was crying, I told her that I was supposed to be learning.
She asked what I meant and I said that my sister Chris said that when I got to school, I would learn even more and that I would be able to read from big girl books and I could go places because I could learn. Then I said, “Those baby kids are not learning; all they are doing is playing. I came to learn,” I said. “I don’t want to play.”

Mrs. Moses stared at me and then she laughed. She hugged me and said that I would do very well one day. After giving me a test, she moved me into a class with the first graders. My cousin Robin was in the class. On the way to school that morning, she had been teasing me. I was bragging to her about starting school, but she laughed and said that I would be in the baby class, but she was in real school.
Now, I was in real school and I was going to learn.

I kept on learning and at the age of 12, I started working. I worked with a woman from my church, cleaning banks after school and homes in the morning before school. I helped out my family and even did errands and cleaned the homes of the older church members until I went off to college. I kept working and learning and working and learning.
I have learned to love all work and learning has been my joy.

Social Psychologist, Erik Erikson said the balance in life is between work, love and play. So, now they tell me. But if I hadn’t been learning I would not have known.

We have been seeking balance of work and life, but this balance between what I do, what I love and play for the sake of it, lends itself to something much more powerful.
I am learning to play. I was volunteered into a local dancing competition for charity. I’m dancing for the school my kids went to; a school for kids who are bright, but have learning differences.

I’m working hard to cha cha. My love fuels this drive and I get to play.


In the meanwhile, find your balance and your play.

                                                             Be you, be well, be balanced.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment