Thursday, July 18, 2013

Truth and Reconciliation


Truth and Reconciliation

Today is the 95th birthday of Nelson Mandela. The journey of this amazing man’s life is beyond belief.

I’ve been to Robbin’s Island and I had a chance to see the cell he spent decades in. I was moved by the fact that on this isolated island in a cell; Mandela was freer than the richest man in South Africa.

What moves me even more than when he caused the earth to tremble by going from an imprisoned brick breaker to the President of South Africa, is the mind boggling idea of Truth and Reconciliation.

I want you to look it up, understand it for yourself. I don’t want to spend time with anyone’s argument; not even my own.

I want to think about someone who has had their life and love taken away and then responding with forgiveness.

I’ve been raised on the idea of winning and being the envy of my neighbors. I’ve been fed from the table of Wall Street and the 1% who tell me that I win by dying with the most toys.

I exist in a land that actually markets the idea that you can’t be too thin or too rich and that beauty always wins.

So I know it’s hard to take this whole truth and reconciliation thing seriously. But what if?

BE you, be well, be free.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment