Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 11: System Restore

Look at yourself through a
diffferent window(s)

System Restore

What if you lost everything on your hard drive? Relax, I’m not talking about the one on your computer, I’m talking about the one in you.
What if every idea, thought and belief was somehow erased leaving you only with the basic functions. Who would you be and how would you survive?

Here is the simple truth, you have spent more time backing up and protecting your computer files and online identity than you have protecting your own self.

Last night, I watched a documentary that my friend Daria recommended. She had prepared me for the nudity and some of the content, but I was not prepared for the willingness with which people give up their beliefs in order to follow the guru and the crowd.

Let me explain, the documentary was about a group of people who attended a week-long workshop. The film opens on the attendees arriving. They all swiped their credit cards before entering and then the session began. Within minutes folks were standing naked introducing themselves to one another and saying whatever came to mind.
I tried to watch without judgment (or critique because let’s face it some folks look better in clothes) and for a while, I was doing a good job. Then I noticed a few things that just kept bothering me; the folks were not allowed to leave the place while attending and they were told to question everything.

Okay, I get it, the guru wants them to really think outside of their boundaries; but here’s the thing midway through most folks had abandoned their belief in monogamy, but they had somehow adopted a belief in aliens.
Alright, this is not a film critique, but you must admit, it was a great starting point. Here’s the thing, we all need to question our own beliefs, ideas and even our gurus and ministers; but we must do it for and by our self.

From time to time, we need to do a system restore. We need to delete old files and update our hardware. We need to get rid of old programs and replace them with something based on new findings.

This week, we will take a hard, long look ---keep your mind off of the documentary---at our beliefs and old ideas. What can you get rid of? What can you update?
I won’t ask you to take your clothes off and you won’t have to divorce anybody. You will have to question your own junk.

Stay with me, it’s going to be a beautiful ride.

Be you, be well, be restored.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment