Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Find Your Joy


Find YOUR Joy

A big part of happiness requires that you find the thing that gives you joy. The trouble lies in the fact that most of us have been told what to like when to like it and who to like doing it with. (Really-- no pun intended.)

When I was a kid, I loved to sing. I sang before I could talk; I sang the words I wanted to say or I’d hum just for the pure joy of it. I’d make up songs as if I’d been born to it and I was.

Even now when I write a song, I hear it in its complete form; lyrics, melody and all; so why is it that I’m not a singer.

Somewhere along my path in life, I was told that I could not be a singer; that I was not the “type” that people would pay to hear. I wasn’t pretty enough to sing.

Even as I write this, I can hear the crazy logic, but this is the way of our world; we think the voice must come from a pretty person and then someone else decides what pretty is.
I don’t regret not being a singer; I regret very few things.

Here’s the thing, singing gives me joy. Composing gives me joy, so I do both.
I may not do them for a living, but I do it for life. When I’m tired or frustrated, I sing. When I’m happy or sad; I sing.

Singing connects me to myself; it gives me joy and makes me happy.

Find your thing and let it fulfill you; let it lift you up.
Take a class and learn your craft. Join a group of others who love what you love and build a community around your “thing.”
Folks who connect around something they enjoy age better than those who sit alone.

Life is for living; do it with joy.
By the by, you can go to my website (Click here) www.berticeberrynow.com

Click on the services page and make sure your volume is up.
Hope you like my song---find yours.

Be you, be well, be happy.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment