Thursday, March 14, 2013

Week 10: How Can I Change?

Watching a TV from a hotel mirror...
still watching old shows

What Can You Change?

Today I’d like you to ask yourself this powerful question: “What can I change—about me?”

I don’t mean your physical appearance, I mean your you.

How can you change before change happens to you?

A few days ago, I began to think about the technological changes we have made. When email was first introduced into the workplace, most folks were kicking and biting. Now, if you were to suggest getting rid of it, those same folks would be willing to enter a cage match.

I recently asked my daughter if she had gotten my email and she laughed. “Mom, she said, you are the only person who sends me email?”

I asked her if she was serious and she told me that some of her professors send email but most of them just send a post. “How do you communicate with people,” I asked. She told me that she “connects” to friends who live all over the world and uses a translation app to communicate and learn a new language. She said that she uses another site to post her wonderful photos and shares them with her people. She talks to friends in Germany about a popular band there and she communicates with locals through text messages but rarely talks on the phone.

I reflected back on my mother’s joy when she was able to successfully send a fax. She was 87 when she died and had never driven a car but could ride a horse sidesaddle. (Alas, we had no horse---nor a need for the word alas.)

I’d laughed at my mother’s horse talk the same way my daughter does when she sends me a text message from her bedroom.

The world is changing around you, what can you change before you are forced to?

Can you be more loving? Can you read a new book that requires new thinking? Can you learn a new language? Can you take up a new hobby or learn a new craft? Can you learn to read music or play an instrument? Can you do something new?

You’ve got the rest of your life to keep on keeping on.

Be you, be well, be changing.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment