Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 69 of Your Year to Wellness; Finding the Good

What’s Right With Me?

Earlier this week, I had a conversation with one of my brothers and we concluded that we are all too fixated with what we find wrong with ourselves; ignoring all that it right.

This week has been a trying one for me. There is a high pitched tone in my left ear that stopped but then started again and at times, I have felt like I’m hearing with the ears of a dolphin and one is trying to contact me.

Everything has been heard through that  pitch and while I have a high tolerance for pain and BS, I literally had to hold my head and cry. I couldn’t exercise or listen to music, but most painfully, I couldn’t sing to myself. Prior to now, I had no idea how much I naturally fall into song. My sister Chris once told me that I sang before I could speak. She had a hand in it; teaching me to spell, tie my shoes and recite my address all with a song.

I had been so attached to the tone in my ear that I had temporarily stepped away from my center.

This morning, I woke up with the notion to focus on what is right.

I have touched on this before, but I need it now like air.

When I decided to see what was right with me, I floated past the mirror like my old self and I was next to perfect.

I saw that at 2:20 in the morning, I have remained committed to writing these posts, no matter what. I could see that last night I had watched a movie with my daughter (okay she watched and I slept) like we used to when she and all of the other kids were younger. She still favors the spot at the foot of my bed, even though all of the other children are gone from the house and she could have any of their more cherished places. “I like it here,” she told me. This is my special place.

We all have a special place in our own life and when something throws us off, we have a tendency to forget that all things work together.

Today, I’d like you to look at yourself through the following question:

What’s right with you child?

Imagine me standing with my hands akimbo (on my hips) looking at you like a mother would. I’m smiling when I ask “What in the world is right with you?”

This is not rhetorical. I’d like an answer.

Take the moment to talk, write or sing to yourself until you have a long list of all that is right with you in spirit, mind and body.

Enjoy the day and all that is right with you.

Be well, be you be Right.
Bertice Berry, PhD
Another beautiful photo from Ashley Lee


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Dr. Berry for your stillness and your consistency. I wanted to tell you this when I attended an event you spoke at but I decided to sit there and enjoy the positive energy in the room that day instead. Through most of your time speaking, I cried. I cried because I listened and attended that day, I knew that you being there was a perfect example of everything working together for good. Shortly after my mother left this earth I began reading your blog and I am thankful. In a fit of anger, one of the last things my mother said to me was that I was fat and no one would ever want me. When I left home at an early age, I was able to uproot the seeds of years of her screaming those kinds of things to me and and I focused on what was right with me. Now, nearing 50, I am a mother of a beautiful, kind 11 year old girl. Like you, I am rearing her without the help of anyone on earth, God has been my provider by helping me to generate income inspite of the economy. I am still here. Please know that you are appreciated and continue to write the blog. You are helping many.

    ReplyDelete