Thursday, March 10, 2016

Do You Lack Motivation or Inspiration?


I’m a sociologist; more specifically, a public sociologist. For some reason, folks often define and describe me as a motivational speaker. They should see my daughter’s bedroom.

It is true that my audiences and “students” often feel motivated to complete the task at hand, but how I define my work says much more about my audience than it does about me.

Your work requires that you understand the fine line/ big difference between motivation and inspiration.

Motivation is defined as the reason, general desire or willingness one has for doing something (Merriam-Webster)

While inspiration is seen as the divine influence or action on a person, which then qualifies them to receive a communication, appointment or revelation.

 It is the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions. (Merriam- Webster)

My audiences are high level achievers. Rarely do they lack the motivation, the will or purpose for doing what they need to do. They are motivated beyond belief.

 For the past 25 years, I have observed very similar qualities among what I call The Genuines, those Authentic Leaders, we all say we’d like to be.

They know their purpose.

They invest their time, money and energy in the education of themselves, their families and their teams.

They tend to be ambiverts; both introverted and extraverted.

They are smart with a heart. They are deep thinkers, but their goal is for the good of humanity.

These folks know who they are and why they are here; still, we all need reminders, refreshers and new tools for completing the task.

If you want to be an achiever. If you want your mind, spirit and body to agree on the same goals, if you want to love what you do, the life you have created and the one you want to have, you need to get inspired.

Find your reason for existing and then, find it over and over again. Once you know it, use it to inspire someone else.


Be you, be well, and be inspired.

Bertice Berry, PhD.



and follow me on Periscope for morning Inspiration and evening Meditation

No comments:

Post a Comment