Thursday, February 25, 2016

Becoming Beautiful

 Becoming Beautiful





Beauty is a difficult topic to cover. It’s been said to be in the eye of the beholder, but I’ve come to see that Beauty is in the heart of the beautiful.

Beauty is defined mathematically as symmetry, balance and harmony. Webster’s defines it as “The quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit.
Beauty then, is a subjective interpretation of a thing or person by a thing or person that may or may not see themselves as beautiful. Do you see where I’m going?

We have bought into an industry that makes a living by making us all believe that we could be beautiful if only our breasts were bigger, our nose and hips were smaller; skin lighter, abs tighter, hair longer, teeth whiter, lashes longer and everything (except those breasts) were much, much smaller.

On the wall of my bathroom, I’ve hung a picture of myself when I was 20. I was beautiful. The picture is not there to remind me of how beautiful I was.  It’s there to remind me that I did not know, accept or believe that I was beautiful.

Now, at age 55, I see the beauty in that 20 year old. When I look into the sad eyes of that young woman, she implores me to know that I am beautiful right now.

Beauty is as it believes. Choose to know that you already are beautiful, right now; as you are today.
My beauty is not determined by the industry that enslaves me. The slaver will not determine my score on a scale from one to ten.

I’m asking, no imploring you to see your beauty.   


Then I’d like you to pass it on. Tell someone that they are beautiful. Tell an older woman, and a young child. Tell this truth to the world.

See yourself as beautiful, and you will see the world that way too.

Be you, be well, Be beautiful. Because you already are.

Bertice Berry, PhD.


No comments:

Post a Comment