Monday, August 26, 2013

Week 34 of The Art of Living: I Can Die Now


I Can Die Now

I have a little secret; one I barely ever say out loud; not even to myself.

Every day, I live my life in search of ways to inspire others, to do what is right and just and to see my life come full circle.

The first two are easy, but the last, seeing my life come full circle, relies upon the forces of nature and the Universe. When it happens, I tell myself; I can die now.

I hope you don’t think me morbid. In fact, I think I’m just being realistic. We may not know when, but we should all know that death is going to happen.

Last week, I had one of those moments. I was in Iowa with the folks who design the ACT tests.

These are the people who are sticklers (they even use the word to describe themselves) for accuracy and fairness. They work tirelessly to design assessment tests for students and employees. Their desire is to ignite a passion for lifelong learning.

Their mission and purpose is real and is being realized.

That morning, I had spoken with my high school English teacher. Karen helped to ignite a passion for learning in me. We chatted about how excited I was to be there and how the ACT essay had been my saving grace. Without it, Jacksonville University would not have accepted me.

When I spoke, I was more nervous than I have ever been, but I could immediately see that I was with my people. They laughed with me and thought deeply about how they could be even better.

Many, many years ago, the folks who designed the test inspired and created a pathway for me.

Last week, I had the chance to return the favor.

I can die now.

Be you, be well, be learning.

Bertice Berry, PhD.


No comments:

Post a Comment