Monday, August 19, 2013

Week 33 of The Art of Living: Help Me Dance


Help Me Dance

I come from a line of proud women. Pride can be a good thing, but it can also come before a fall. My mother did the best she could to take care of us but she often went hungry to make sure we all ate.

Rather than ask anyone for help, she would just “make do.”

I have inherited this trait. While I am far beyond the conditions of my childhood, I still need help. We all do. I need someone to help with everyday life and sometimes, I need a shoulder to lean on.

There is no shame in knowing you need help. There is a problem with not asking.

I’ve asked for help before---to help fund hearing aids for kids who could not afford them.

Today, I’m asking you to help me dance. I’m doing one of those "celebrity" dance things (my teacher Joseh would like you to help me get to my lessons.)

I need you to help by voting with a dollar or two for the school I’m assisting.

Chatham Academy is a school for kids with special needs. Chatham Academy helps to build up the strengths while diminishing the weaknesses. Three of my children went there.

I wish all kids could have the benefit of the school’s art, athletics and camaraderie.

Help me dance. Share this with your friends and tell them to share it with theirs.

If I have done anything that has inspired you, please help me inspire a kid in need.

Our mothers will be so proud.

Be you, be well, be wonderful.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

1 comment:

  1. I have found it difficulet myself to ask for help. I believe asking for help involves trust. I have learned that trust is not trusting the person you are asking for help from but, trusting myself. I would be interested in hearing more about about how you have learned to ask for that help when you needed a "shoulder to lean on" for example.

    ReplyDelete