Monday, January 6, 2014

The Art of Being Better


The Art of Being Better

When I was a kid, my mother told me to leave everything better than it was when I first encountered it.

I have tried to take this lesson to heart. I have taught it to my children.
Whenever we were at a park, theatre or restaurant, people were often amazed to see us picking up litter we hadn’t put down.

But this goes beyond picking up litter, it’s more than cleaning up the mess you made; it’s about making the world better by being better yourself.

I’m at the age where most folks decide that they are who they are and you get what you see. I don’t feel that way. I’m only 53; you get what you see until I get better.

So this year, I’m dedicating these writings to the Art of Being Better; at life, living, giving, sharing and yes, being better.

We should all strive to leave our body, our home, our community, environment, school, workplace, place of worship, and the world, better than it was when we got here; by improving our own self.

The only person you can change is you.

So this year let’s get better health, better relationships, better at learning new and improved ideas and better at being whole.

When we do, we illuminate a pathway for others to follow.

Happy New Year, Happy New Improved You.

Be you, be well, be better

Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

1 comment:

  1. Such a great message and one that can be used in every aspect of our lives...even professionally!

    ReplyDelete