Monday, January 20, 2014

The Art of Being Better:Seeing Clearly


Seeing Clearly

Last week, while in the Sunday School of the Episcopal church I only recently began attending, it occurred to me that we all grow up with the faith and beliefs of our parents who grew up with the ones of their parents.

Rarely do we question this and it’s even rarer for us to truly look at another system of belief with new eyes.

As our pastor spoke about understanding the New Testament he pointed out things that I had never heard. For example, in the Episcopal Church, the ministers take an oath that they believe the scriptures to be holy and solely for the purpose of salvation.

I was amazed. I grew up in a Pentecostal church where scriptures could be used to determine the weather, what you should wear and what college you should attend.

I spent the week wondering how I could really see the world without the filter of upbringing, culture, race, gender, and what I thought I knew; how I could truly understand without bias.

Yesterday, I asked, and so with a boyish smile and the wisdom of the ages, Rev. Michael White said; “It’s almost impossible to do, but it’s a lot easier when you know you have a problem. It’s almost like AA; you begin by admitting it.”

I was overjoyed. This problem gave me the encouragement and ability to see more clearly.

So today I offer you this;

Acknowledge that you may see things the way you do because that’s the way you always have.

Acknowledge that your perspective may not be the best perspective for you.

Acknowledge that there is still so much to learn.

Decide to dedicate your heart and mind to seeing more clearly.

Be you, be well, be clear.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment