Monday, December 30, 2013

The Art of Living: Forget The Resolution; Dream Extreme


Not Cuba, but it's a start
Dream Extreme

            A few weeks ago, I watched a documentary about the life of Diana Nyad and her XTREME DREAM to swim from Cuba to The U.S (Read More about Diana)

            I had heard about the amazing athlete and had seen footage of interviews with her after completing the incredible feat but to be honest with you, I had been like, “So what? Why do adrenalin junkies always have to rope me up in their amazing lives?”

I had no idea what I was talking about. I was misjudging the success of another, simply because it was something that I would not do.

As the documentary unfolded, I learned that as a child, Diana had suffered terrible and repeated sexual abuse. Her 35 year struggle to swim from Cuba to the U.S. was in part, a way to get rid of her shame and guilt about being violated.

Time after time she tried to complete the Xtreme Dream, and time after time she came closer and closer.

As the documentary unfolded, I learned several important things; that to do anything in life, we have to let go of the extreme defeat of our past and hold fast to our extreme dream.

For this you need a partner, a team, discipline, preparation, all of the tools necessary (you may even have to invent them yourself,) and most of all you have to keep believing.

This year, instead of a resolution; why not dream?

Take your heart and mind to the most wonderful place you can imagine. Make a list of the things that are keeping you for getting there and then take the necessary steps to arrive at your destination.

The only person you can change is you, but when you do, you light a pathway for others to follow.

Let go of the guilt and shame of your past, and dream.

I love you.

Be you, be well, be dreaming.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment