Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Week 25: The First Step: Admitting You Have a Problem

Help, get me out of here

The First Step: Admitting You Have a Problem

Hi, my name is Bertice a I’m a workaholic. There, I wrote it and it’s out there. Just admitting this is something that I had a hard time doing.

For the past 5 days, I have been at home doing nothing. It was not a choice; I had an impacted wisdom tooth taken out. Nothing can prepare you for the pain and recovery.

I expected to get up like I did after having my gall bladder removed. I expected that I’d at least be able to work for part of the day, like I did after a year and a half recovery from a head injury, but all I did was eat and sleep. I tried to watch intelligent documentaries but I kept falling asleep. When I read I could only get through a page and had to keep starting again.

I had to do nothing. Doing nothing is not easy for me. I’ve been working since I was 12 and I like it. There is a time however when you have to do nothing and during those times you get to choose what you will do next.

Will you learn to rest when necessary or will you keep burning the candle at both ends?

Don’t look at me, I’m still trying to do nothing.

Be you, be well, be rested.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment