Thursday, January 24, 2013

Taking in the Good ---Getting Older and Loving It

 Taking in the Good—Getting Older and Loving It

This week I took a redeye flight  from Los Angeles back to Savannah. I used to love the redeye; flying late and arriving early allowed me to make the most of a full day.
I thrived on only 4 hours of sleep and the flight allowed me just that. A few days ago, I discovered that a redeye is no longer in my comfort zone. I woke up with a migraine and felt like I couldn’t move.
I laughed to myself as I thought of how quickly things had changed. A few days before, I got into a sports car like the one I had before I got my children. I had ridden the two-seater as long as I could before I had to get a nice roomy van.
When I got in that sports car, I thought back to my life before I took on the responsibility of 5 children. I recalled how unattached I was; how I could pick up  at a moment’s notice and travel the globe when I wanted to.
After a few moments of looking back, I decided to get out of the car but I had a hard time doing so. I laughed so hard that when I finally rolled out of the car, I had the revelation I needed.
My life before children was wonderful, but now it’s better. When I was younger, I was amazing and now I am down-right marvelous.
Getting older can be hard or it can be wonderful. You can resist the change and look ridiculous or you can embrace the joy of knowing that you are still here. If  you ain’t dead you ain’t done.
You still have lessons to learn and wisdom to pass on.
I hear folks who talk about being old before they even get there and I know some who try to ignore the subtle nudges of time acting as if their jeans are not too tight, their heels not too high.
Life has a way of reminding us of who we are and where we need to be. Take care of your temple and it will take care of you.
I’m 52 but I tell folks that I’m 60--- I get more compliments.
Take in the good of your youth, your age, your ability to move and celebrate the fact that you are here, now.
Be well, be wise, be good.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment