Thursday, November 26, 2015

What You Really Need

What I Have Now

Every year, between my birthday and Thanksgiving, I make the time to organize and assess all that I have accumulated throughout the previous year.

I reorganize closets and bookcases, shelves and cabinets. I go through my phone and email to organize and reconnect with folks I’ve neglected and need to say, “Thanks” to.

I rearrange furniture to maximize its use and I wash pots and pans and blankets and linens that have been stuffed in a closet somewhere. I organize jewelry and marvel at things that I felt I had to have, but haven’t yet worn.

Every year, I am amazed at the feeling of satisfaction that comes with each new discovery. I am always warmed by the gifts I’ve received and the letters of gratitude that have come my way.

A feeling of satisfaction; an awareness that I have enough comes over me and I am full.

Christmas goes by without a need to binge shop, because I know that I have enough and am enough.
I’d like to believe that I’m getting better at this every year; that with each assessment of what I have, 
I become more aware of what I no longer need.

This year, I was able to see another aspect of this awareness. As I cleaned and organized, I was able to move nebulizers, unused medications, canes and surgical boots.

You really don’t miss the water until the well runs dry. So I’m asking you to pay attention to the water, the wellness, the life and stuff you already possess.

Be grateful for people who love you already. Give thanks to those who call and text and come by to say hi.

Be thankful for your aches and pains, because your body is still well enough to let you know when you need to rest.

Touch the table you dine at and give thanks that it’s still there. Turn on a light and actually think of the folks who do the work and for the work you’ve done to pay the bill.

Give thanks and know that if you are reading this, you are loved.


Be you, be well, be thankful.

Bertice Berry, PhD

2 comments: