Monday, May 5, 2014

Changing the World


Make Them Stop

Have you ever wanted to wave a wand and make everything around you better?

You can. You can fix the problems of your neighbors, your friends and colleagues. You can make them behave and act right and you can get everyone who is getting on your nerves to stop right where they are.

You can do all of this by changing you.

The only person you can change is you, and when you do, you illuminate a pathway for others to follow.

Change happens when we change, be the change, are the change and enable others to change free from our judgment.

When I was a child, my mother was a terrible alcoholic (I know,you’re wondering what a good one would be like.)

I lived under the threat of a beating, then a beating, then another beating, then a sloppy, tearful apology.

I spent my Sunday’s, and every day but Monday, at a Pentecostal church begging God to make my mother stop.

I’d pour out my mother’s vodka replacing it with water thinking that she wouldn’t know the difference. This only resulted in another beating and yet another opportunity for me to stand in a prayer line begging God for help.

God told me to help myself, so I did. I helped myself to the love that was offered by teachers. I helped myself to an education and a way away from the chaos.

I loved from a distance and finally got the nerve to tell my mother that I would keep praying, but God needed her to act.

She did and she became one of the most amazing women that have ever lived.

My mother transformed into someone who I loved to be with; someone I wanted to be like.

My world changed because I did.

You can be the change you want to see in the world.

Start with a grand idea; one that seems impossible. Decide to give your life to realizing that idea and live it every day.

Be you, be wonderful, be change.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment