Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Thing You Seek

Increasing Your Excellence


When I was younger, I didn’t care much for goal setting. Don’t get me wrong, I was focused, determined and driven. I earned my doctoral degree at the age of 26 and was a bit down, because I had told myself that I’d get there by 25.

Still, I preferred setting standards; believing that if you live by the standards you set, you will get to the place you desire. This is true, but only in part. The other part has everything to do with the people you align yourself with and you can’t set and live the standards of others.

With Wes Bush
Then I heard Wes Bush, the brilliant engineer turned CEO of Northrop Grumman. Wes said, “If you want to increase the excellence, you must increase the performance.”

Within this most parsimonious statement lies a marvelous equation for reaching any goal. But, you can’t reach a goal if you don’t set one.

My life is now filled with graphs and charts marking and measuring my performance towards excellence.  
When setting out to do anything new or new again:
  • Don’t look back in shame or regret.
  • Use what you have learned and apply it to what you are      learning.
  • Be grateful for where you are now.
  • Forge new alliances with those who have the skill sets you need.
  • Follow-through daily.
  • Assess daily, weekly and monthly.



                                                          
          And always remember, "The thing you seek is seeking you." ~Rumi


                                                                       Bertice Berry, PhD.

                                                                      www.berticeberry.com



No comments:

Post a Comment