Monday, September 9, 2013

The Art of Living Week 36: Embracing Change


Embracing Change

The only constant is change. We know this, we say it, we may even believe it, but we act as if we really can have our cake and eat it too. (The cake can’t exist and be eaten at the same time; or can it?)

What I’m trying to say is this; change is a fact of your life and if you want to enjoy this ride, you must embrace then change that comes with it.

Last week, I noticed that movies now advertise for television. I mentioned it to my children and they asked what I meant. I told them that not too long ago, you could find out about a new movie while watching TV. Now you find out about a new television show while at the movies.

This change was gradual but is now just one of the givens.

I began to wonder about the big shifts in my own life that have happened suddenly and unnoticed. I wondered about areas where the tables had been turned.

As if on cue, my daughter walked into my bedroom and looked around at the mess my suitcase had made when it popped itself open and dumped its contents all over my room.

“I raised you better than this,” she said mocking me. “We don’t live like this kid. I know you’re tired because I’m tired of saying it, but get up and get this mess up. An organized life is an organized mind.”

I told her that if I had a pebble she could take it and go. She looked at me in confusion and I tried to explain the TV show Kung Fu that starred David Carradine playing in the role of an Asian martial artist.

She laughed and told me to stop trying to make her laugh.

Big change is happening right under our very noses. Whether you see it or not, it’s happening.

Embrace the change because change has already embraced you.

Be you, be well, be changing.

Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment