Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 158 of Your Year to Wellness; On Excellence

Looking for excellence...
in me
Whatever Happened to Excellence?

A few days ago, I was reminded of the standard of excellence. My house had some damage from the tropical storm and thankfully, it was nothing major.  There were lots of little things that added up to a mess and I needed someone who could tackle them all. My regular contractor/brother was in the process of relocating. Normally, I could call him and he’d be right here able to handle all sorts of things; even my car, but he was out of town and I had to find and hire someone I had never worked with before.
Having raised 5 children, I live in a large house, so I am often faced with someone who looks at the size of our house to determine the amount of money they think they should get. I called lots of folks who all said that someone would get back to me in a day or two. I made a list of their names so I would not make the mistake of calling them again in the future. Then I called Mr. Brooks who sounded like he actually cared about fallen trees, broken sprinkler heads and things that I could not see. He told me he’d be here within an hour and he was.
Not only did he do the repairs right before another big storm, he charged me according to the true cost. Then he did something that made my sister Chris and I really smile; he guaranteed his work. “If it’s not right, I’ll be back to fix it again,” he told us.
I had been prepared to haggle, question, research and compare. I was not prepared for excellence.
It occurred to me that we have grown accustomed to the mediocrity in our lives.
When is the last time you were truly entertained by a movie or television show? When is the last time you were really wowed by something you purchased or excited about a meal you ate at a restaurant?
I strive to do my best at whatever I do, but sometimes when it comes to what I expect from others, I accept whatever I am given. It’s time that we go back to raising our standards. Maybe we get so little because we expect and accept it.
I have written it before and I will write it again; the only person I can change is me; so today, I will do my best to give and expect the best. I will strive to eat and move with the best intention. I will wish kindness and love for others and think good thoughts. I will strive to encourage others through love and a hope for their heart's desires; not mine. I will seek to be excellent.

I hope you’ll join me.
Be you, be well, be excellent.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment